Even if it doesn’t FEEL like fall yet in north Texas (it may or may not have hit 90* yesterday…), you better believe that September 1st, I got my first PSL, lit a fall-scented candle, pulled out all the fall-scented soap, and decorated our house to the nines for fall! As much as I love all of that stuff (and I do. I really, truly do.), I think my FAVORITE part of fall has to be the food– soups, stews, all kinds of warm, comfort foods that just make you feel so cozy and loved! One of our favorite fall soups is definitely my Instant Pot tomato basil Parmesan soup recipe. It’s got all the comfort of tomato soup, while taking it to the next level with the creaminess of whipping cream, the salt of Parmesan cheese, and the freshness of the basil.
Y’all, even my soup-hating husband (“soup is not a meal!”) will eat a bowl or six of this with a fancy grilled cheese and be perfectly happy on a cool fall evening. I generally use boxed chicken broth in this, but my Instant Pot chicken bone broth would make for a killer tomato basil Parmesan soup (and up the nutrition value while you’re at it!). Plus, it’s super easy to make dairy-free for my kiddos by just using their versions of the Parmesan cheese (our favorite brand for Parmesan is Follow Your Heart) and whipping cream (I use Ripple Half and Half), so it’s a great meal for the whole family. By making it in my Instant Pot, I can have it ready in under an hour, but it tastes like I’ve been slaving over it all day long. This makes quite a bit which means it’s perfect for sharing or I can freeze it before I add in the cheese and whipping cream for another night’s even-easier meal.
This Instant Pot tomato basil Parmesan soup recipe is likely my favorite, but I’m a huge fan of all the squash soups, too. If you had to pick ONE soup for fall, what would it be? Let me know in the comments or come hang out with us on Facebook!
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup Recipe
1 c finely diced celery
1 c finely diced carrots
1 c finely diced onions
28 oz can crushed tomatoes, with juice
14 oz can tomato puree
2 T dried oregano or 1/4 c fresh oregano
4 T dried basil or 1/2 c fresh basil
1 bay leaf
4 c chicken broth
1/2 c flour
1/2 c butter (or butter substitute)
1 1/2 c Parmesan cheese (or substitute)
1 c heavy whipping cream (or substitute)
Cracked black pepper and salt, to taste
- Combine tomatoes, tomato puree, celery, carrots, onion, chicken broth, oregano, basil, and bay leaf to your Instant Pot.
- Seal the lid and set to manual, high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Allow to natural pressure release (you don’t want this tomato basil Parmesan soup all over your kitchen!) for 10 minutes, minimum, but preferably completely NPR.
- Remove the bay leaf and, using an immersion blender, blend the soup to the consistency you prefer (we like ours a little chunky).
- Prepare a roux in a pan on the stove by melting the butter over low heat and then adding in the flour while whisking consistently until it starts to smell a little nutty.
- Into the pan, gently whisk 1 cup of hot soup, before adding another cup of soup the same way until smooth.
- Add it all back into your Instant Pot, along with the Parmesan cheese, heavy whipping cream, and salt/pepper, to taste.
- Serve with julienned basil and more Parmesan on top!