It’s FINALLY cooling off here in north Texas, which makes me super happy. Fall might be my favorite season– the sweaters, the sweat pants, the fire pits, warm beverages, cool nights, and comfort food every night. One of my favorite types of food is Tex-Mex (duh), so a go-to supper for us is Crockpot or Instant Pot chicken taco soup (this crockpot is extremely inexpensive, but still programmable– important for a busy mama!). OR, if you have an Instant Pot, it’s EVEN FASTER (less thank half an hour) and just as tasty. It’s easy, it’s quick, and it’s ready whenever the boys get hungry, which makes our whole evening go more smoothly.
Here’s the deal, y’all. Chili does not have beans in it, nor does it have chicken. That means that this recipe can’t be chili, but it’s a little less soup-y than soup is (at least in my mind). Whatever you call it, this recipe is the epitome of comfort food for me. Plus, it’s good for you! Lots of lean protein, veggies, and “good” fats if you use avocado instead of dairy options. My boys can’t get enough of this one!
A few tips… The longer you can let the chicken cook in the Crockpot, the more tender and juicy it’ll be. The Instant Pot pulls this off for you in less than half an hour, though! Every time I go to pull the chicken out to shred it, I have to use a big spoon to take it out because it falls apart! Sprinkle the seasoning on top of the chicken and then push it straight down into the mixture of everything else. That way, the taco seasoning stays on the chicken and slowly mixes into the soup. This lets the flavors of the taco seasoning really get down into the chicken and then the soup.
When you go to serve the soup, having cut up avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, or corn bread out for your family to add to the soup is an awesome make-it-themselves idea. It definitely helps keep the little ones interested!
Craving something a little more classically taco-esque? How about some Instant Pot Tacos al Pastor? They’re super pretty and easy to make for a crowd (and beyond tasty)!
Don't Miss Out on a New Instant Pot Recipe!
Subscribe here for a beautiful, printable Instant Pot Iced Tea recipe card and you'll never miss an Instant Pot recipe that could change the way you cook!
Crockpot/Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
1 onion, diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 cans chicken broth (1 if you prefer it a little thicker, 2 if you prefer it a little thinner)
12 oz frozen corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1/4 c lime juice
2-3 chicken breasts
Instructions for Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Combine the onion, corn, black beans, kidney beans, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and lime juice in the crockpot.
- Set the chicken breasts on top of the other soup ingredients.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the chicken and then press the chicken straight down into the soup mixture (do not mix again… you want the seasoning to sit on the chicken and slowly mix into the soup).
- If you’re using a Crockpot, set to low and cook for 8-10 hours (preferable) or high and cook for 4-6. If you’re using an Instant Pot, set to high pressure for 25 minutes and quick-release.
- Pull the chicken breasts out and shred.
- Dump the chicken back into the soup mixture and allow to sit for another few minutes while it soaks up some of the yummy juice.
- Serve your Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup with diced avocados, sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, cornbread, or any other toppings you would like!