Y’all, sweet potatoes in every form are some of the best food in the south. I mean, you get the carb-y goodness with the color and nutrients that regular potatoes don’t have. Plus, it’s completely acceptable to put brown sugar and marshmallows on top. Anything that I can put marshmallows in or on, I’m all for. That said, I prefer them to be a LITTLE healthier most of the time (particularly if I’m feeding them to my kids, which is basically always). Mashed sweet potatoes are a nutrient-rich, silky-smooth, and super yummy side dish to nearly any main course (my favorite being meatloaf, personally), especially during the fall and winter. When you add a drop of cinnamon bark essential oil, you even up the health factor without adding any work!
The benefits of cinnamon bark essential oil are many, and because you add them AFTER the potatoes are done cooking, you don’t lose any of the goodness of the oil to a heating process.
- Supports healthy metabolic function*
- Maintains a healthy immune system*
- Naturally repels insects (not that that’s particularly helpful this time, but y’know. Good to know!)
If you’re looking for the most inexpensive way to get essential oils to add to your daily routine (including cooking), check out my shop page!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon Essential Oil
3-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 T Salt
1/4 c dairy-free butter
1 t Nutmeg
1 toothpick- 1 drop Cinnamon Essential Oil (to taste)
- Add the sweet potatoes and salt to a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and allow to cook until fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and put them back in the pot.
- Add butter, nutmeg, and cinnamon essential oil.
- Mash to combine and make into MASHED potatoes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.