We FINALLY had a cool-ish day in north Texas, so I jumped at the chance to have something cool-weather-y for dinner. Needless to say, I had not planned ahead. Thankfully, I had all the makings for tomato basil soup in my pantry (and on my patio), as well as grilled cheese (because who has tomato soup without grilled cheese?!). My boys and I got home from picking up our eldest from school and they were STARVING so I got right to working making up an Instant Pot tomato basil soup recipe.
Y’all, we got home at 415. I had supper on the table by 445, including all the chopping, mixing, grilling of cheese (and fake cheese), etc. I don’t know what I’d do without my Instant Pot. This recipe even makes enough to have lunch the next day AND freeze for an entire other meal so you only have to get a pot dirty ONCE for like half an hour total for two dinners and a lunch!
As far as the soup goes, using fire roasted tomatoes gives you an awesome depth of flavor, but if you only have normal ones, that’s totally fine, too! Letting the carrots and onions get some gorgeous caramel color on them adds a ton of sweetness to balance out the tomatoes, plus some really great flavor. The amount of basil is totally up to you, so start with the amount I list, blend it up, and add more if you want it more basil-y. I use vegetable broth most of the time so that we can go entirely meatless on Fridays, but chicken broth works well, too, if that’s what you have in your pantry! I love a splash of cream (or almond milk for my kids) in it for a little creaminess the second time around to mix it up since this Instant Pot tomato basil soup recipe makes a lot!
If your husband is opposed to tomato basil soup and grilled cheese like mine is most of the time, this Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana would be an awesome choice instead!
Don't Miss Out on a New Instant Pot Recipe!
Subscribe here for a beautiful, printable Instant Pot Hot Apple Cider recipe card and you'll never miss an Instant Pot recipe that could change the way you cook!
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
2 T olive oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c fresh basil
6- 14.5 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes (if you can only find regular, that’s fine, too!)
1- 14.5 can broth (vegetable if you’re vegan, chicken if not)
Cream/Almond Milk, optional
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute and allow it to get hot. Once it’s heated, add the olive oil, sweet onion, and carrots to the pot.
- Stir occasionally until the veggies get some color to them (5-10 minutes).
- Add the basil and allow it to cook for 30 seconds before pouring the tomatoes and broth in.
- Stir it all well before putting the lid on and setting your Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, let it natural pressure release completely (you don’t want tomato soup all over your kitchen!).
- Use an immersion blender to achieve the texture you prefer (or your normal blender– you just might need two batches worth to blend it up).
- Taste and add basil, salt, or pepper as needed.
- Serve this Instant Pot tomato basil soup recipe with grilled cheese (because MURICA).