Quiche is one of my favorite meals– breakfast, brunch, or dinner! I love that I can make COMPLETELY different tastes and dishes out of the same basic recipe, just by switching up the “add-ins.” We can go from breakfast, like this dairy-free bacon and cheese quiche, to a dinner quiche (that even my “No Breakfast for Dinner” husband can’t argue with) like butternut squash, spinach, and caramelized onion. That fluffy, savory custard that wraps itself around whatever ingredients you choose to add in, along with a flaky crust, makes for a delicious, easy meal the whole family will enjoy. My boys love getting “pie” for breakfast and I love that this dairy-free quiche gets protein, veggies, and carbs in them first thing in the morning, when they’re more apt to choose something far less filling or healthy.
When you’re making the custard to pour over your quiche, the key is the ratio of “dairy” fat to eggs. I take a 4 cup liquid measuring cup, crack my four eggs into it, and whisk. Once they’re scrambled, I add 1/2 cup of dairy-free plain yogurt and top it off with Ripple Half and Half until the eggs combined with the “dairy” measures 2 cups. You can use whatever “milk” you prefer, but the “half and half” gives it a much more rich texture and makes for a more delicious dairy-free quiche, so I highly recommend it!
My kids are reasonably certain there isn’t anything yummier than a dairy-free bacon and cheese quiche, but if you’re looking for other breakfast ideas to serve at your next brunch, these blueberry muffins or these sweet potato muffins are always a hit– light, fluffy, tender on the inside, crunchy on the outside.
Dairy-Free Bacon and Cheese Quiche
1 pie crust, unbaked
1/2 c dairy-free plain yogurt
Approximately 1 c Ripple Half and Half (or other dairy-free milk)
2 t garlic powder
1 t salt
1 t pepper
1 c dairy-free cheese (my boys prefer Daiya cheddar)
1 c bacon, chopped and cooked until crispy
Instructions for a Dairy-Free Quiche
- Preheat your oven to 375*.
- Roll out your pie crust into a pie pan, ensuring it’s pressed down into the corners well.
- In a 4 cup liquid measuring cup, crack your 4 eggs into it, and whisk. Once they’re scrambled, add 1/2 cup of dairy-free plain yogurt and top it off with Ripple Half and Half until the eggs combined with the “dairy” measures 2 cups, approximately a cup of half and half. (See note below)
- Whisk in the garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the egg mixture.
- Onto the crust, sprinkle half of the cheese and bacon before slowly pouring the egg mixture over it (you don’t want to end up with spots that are empty of add-ins because it hit too hard).
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and bacon on top.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature!
Note: You can use whatever “milk” you prefer, but the “half and half” gives it a much more rich texture since you can’t use truly high fat milks/creams for dairy-free quiche and makes for a more delicious quiche, so I highly recommend it